Games Drill #2: Follow The Leader
- Evenly space 16 cones throughout the neutral zone of the floor, forming a square. Have a players put their sticks into a pile, with a coach or player selecting a stick to be "the leader." This drill serves to create a game out of team cardio development.
- *Variation #1A (5 min): "Without Balls." Have players line up at any corner of the "square," without balls. Players "follow the leader" in a zigzag formation, at jogging speed, staying as tight as possible as a group (stick touching the person in front of them).
- Coaches can pick different players to lead the group every 20 seconds or so, having them run to the front of the line (perhaps on the coaches whistle).
- *Variation #1B (5 min): "2 Lines." After 2 minutes advance to 2 lines starting at opposite corners of the square, paying special attention to players' spatial awareness (keep your head up!).
- *Variation #2 (5 min): "With Balls." Same as the above variation except players start with balls and cradle around the pylons (don't let the person in front of you get too far ahead).
*Most common error = Players not planting with a stiff outside leg when cutting.