Cardio Drill #1: Rabbit Run
- Variation #1 (10-15 min): "Single Line." Start with the entire team in a line along the boards (1 metre away). Players jog at the same speed around the outside of the box, with the player at the back of the line sprinting up to the front of the line (no balls). The only rule, for all drill variations, is no stepping in the crease (add an extra minute of running for each time it happens).
- Once this player reaches the front of the line, the next player at the back of the line begins their sprint. Be sure to have the lines switch directions at the half way point of the jog, predetermined prior to the team cardio session (Variation #1A).
- Players can also perform this drill with balls, cradling around the outside of the box while they run (Variation #1B).
- Variation #2 (10-15 min): "Double Line." Same as the above variation except there are two lines in opposite corners of the box to start. Players move in the same direction and try to avoid getting overtaken by the other line (Variation #2A). Whichever line gets overtaken or has the largest lead, has to do extra sprints at the end of the drill.
- Players can also perform this drill with cradling with balls (Variation 2B); if a player drops a ball, the whole line has to stop and wait for that player while they go get the loose ball.
Variation #3 (10-15 min): "Loose Balls." Same as the above variations except the player who runs to the front of the line rolls a loose ball out into the middle and the player at the back of the line must retrieve the ball and repeat the action (Variation #3A).
The other option is for the player who retrieves the loose ball to pass to the player at the front of the line, who then rolls it out to the next person at the back of the line (Variation #3B).