Cardio Drill #3: Bench Runs
- Variation #1 (10-15 min): "Regular Shift." Start with 3 groups of even numbers (one group can have an odd number, if required), all on one bench.
- The first group sprints and touches the crossbar on one net, then runs all the way to the other end and touches the other cross bar; returning to the bench and entering through the opposite door that they left from.
- Switch the directions of the players coming off of the benches half way through the drill (i.e. exiting through a different bench door and touching a different net first).
- Coaches take note of which players are struggling with their fitness. Also be aware of the integrity of the players sprints, which if significantly reduced, is a good marker for drill duration.
- Variation #2 (10-15 min): "Special Endurance." Same as the above variation except players touch a 3rd crossbar (the 1st net they touched), finishing the drill by running back into the original door they left out of.
- The next group has to be ready to go from the opposite door.