6-On-5 Play #1A “Pick Bench-Side Shooter” & Play #1B “Pick The Point”
BEGINNER SET PLAY
1A. "Pick Bench-Side Shooter"
- This is the set-play used most often during a delayed penalty situation. The goalie gets pulled and the ball is passed to the far-side away from the bench (eventually getting it low), with all players occupying their respective defender.
- The extra attacker comes off the bench out of the offensive door, on their proper floor-side, and cuts through the middle. The ball carrier on the far-side reads the defense and passes to the cutter if they are "naked," otherwise the cutter stops in the middle and picks east-west for the same-handed shooter.
- If the middle defender in closes the gap on the shooter (Option #1), the passer also has the option of the roller (Option #2) or the point player, who finds a soft spot at the top (Option #3).
1B. "Pick The Point"
- The point player passes to the opposite-handed shooter, who passes to the same-side crease player, who passes to the same-side player at GLE (initiating the play).
- This player carries the ball behind the net while the point player runs down the middle, using picks from the player in the middle and the player at the same-handed soft spot.
- The player behind the net passes to either the point player (Option #1) or the off-ball picker who rolls to the net (Option #2)