5-On-4 Box Play #1A (“Point Drag”) & Play #1B (“Fake Drag”)
BEGINNER POWER PLAY
1A. "Point Drag"
- The point player passes "around the horn," receives a pass back, then carries ("drags") the ball toward the same-handed shooter position.
- Just before the point player arrives at the shooter position, the shooter that is already there should seal their check down and in toward the middle.
- The point player continues dragging behind the seal for a seam shot (Option #1), steps back overtop for a screen shot around the defender (Option #3) or at any time passes to the far-side crease player who moves up to the soft spot (Option #2).
1B. "Fake Drag"
- The point player passes around the horn, receives a pass back, then carries ("drags") the ball toward the same-handed shooter position.
- As the point player "drags," the same-handed shooter pretends to set an on-ball seal, but instead sets an off-ball pick for the opposite-side shooter. As the point player is dragging they pass to the shooter a split-second before they come around the pick.
- After receiving the pass, the ball carrier can shoot (Option #2) around the seal or sometimes step into the middle for an inside shot if the opportunity presents itself (Option #1).